Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Grateful

This is from a colleague and friend's status-beautifully written and so true! 

"Everyday I walk into my classroom at Green School. Our path is lined with lemongrass and our bamboo classroom is magnificent. An enormous blazing sunflower has just come out. On the way to the toilet hut is an enthusiastic pineapple growing freely out of it's cactus. Chilis, eggplants, bananas, and bamboo are growing around our wall-less-ness. We hear the winter-less wind rip through them sometimes. Most of all I love the amazing people I work with, so generous, so unafraid to show true love and care, great people. My students are an international crew of awesomeness and I am so proud of everyone one them."

Wednesdays my kids have two hours of thematics, two hours of proficiency (math and English) and two hours of Bahasa Indonesian (language and culture). I teach the first two classes, break, two more hours, then lunch with the kids. Today I remembered my Wednesday schedule from last year. It was the exact same-2 classes, snack, 2 classes lunch. The difference is now, Wednesdays do not feel like a long day!!! Of course I'm tired after work-being outside in the heat all day will do that. But it's a good tired! I think there are a few reasons it feels so different. 

1. These kids are kind, caring and value "peace." 
2. I only have 14 students! 
3. There are 3 adults in the room-I have an awesome Indonesian teacher and classroom assistant!
4. Thanks to no walls, noise is never a concern.

I guess my point is on this Wednesday afternoon is that I am feeling incredibly grateful for this opportunity and thank God everyday for bringing us to this island!  

No comments:

Post a Comment