Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

What Not to Wear

I survived my first week of school! It has definitely been challenging! Most of my boys' English is rusty, so it took a lot of patience. I also had to be very stern, because the boys are rowdy! Lots of talking, pushing, yelling out. Walking in a line was difficult because they constantly put their arms around each other, hold hands and run! Looks like we'll be working on procedures for the next few weeks! 

We did a fun activity the second day! I made a puzzle that spelled out TEAM. Each student colored a puzzle piece and then we put the puzzle together! When we were putting it together, they had T, E and A. As they were guessing, one boy yelled, "Teet! It spells teet!" Of course, everyone joined in...25 boys shouting out teet hahah But it was a great team building activity! 



The dress code here is very different than what we're used to in the states. At home, teachers are more focused on dressing professionally (no jeans, no tennis shoes). In Kuwait we need to dress very modest. 
Our arms need to be covered at least halfway between our shoulder and elbow.
That's why we wear cardigans in 120 degree weather!
I also wear log sleeve and 3/4 shirts underneath.

Shirts need to be loose fitting.
No belts to make it more fitted and no tucking in! 
We need to cover our chest-no low cut shirts!
Scarves are great for covering-I got this one at the Souk for 1 KD.
Pants have to be paired with a long shirt to cover our hips.
This is about as low cut as shirts can get! 

Again, this is for our school dresscode! In public we can wear jeans and t-shirts. The shirts still need to be loose, but I brought two pairs of skinny jeans and have worn them with a modest shirt. No one would ever say anything about what you're wearing, but it's definitely more stylish to be modest! And I would never go out wearing shorts, a sundress or tank tops!!

Also to be respectful, when Michael and I are together in public, we do not show affection. No one told us not to, but we noticed when we were walking around the malls that men and women don't walk with their arms around each other or holding hands. When we went to take a picture together at the souk, we weren't sure how to stand!

To everyone who has been reading my blog THANK YOU!!! I really appreciate the feedback, and I LOVE seeing the number of pageviews! We hit 1,100 yesterday! Just one more way technology make us feel closer to the ones we love back home : )

No comments:

Post a Comment