Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Duty at ACA


For starters, I forgot to fill you in on my weekend! Friday is church day. 


Saturday we treated ourselves to a pedicure! 
Walking around the dusty streets in sandals for a month....this pedicure was definitely needed!

Saturday night we went out for all you can eat sushi-it was a splurge but absolutely delicious!

I started tutoring this week! It's a different experience than tutoring in the states. The driver picks me up from my apartment and takes me to the student's house. I use the side entrance where the maid greets me and takes me to the table for the child-usually in a finished basement or in the dining room. They serve tea and coffee and then let us work for an hour. Sometimes I don't see the mom at all. When we're done, we let the maid know and the driver takes me back home. Yesterday I had to go straight from school because we had a meeting, so the mom had a salad, hummus, and flatbread with cheese and olives ready for me; she said she knew I didn't have time after school-so thoughtful.

I'm including a photo and video of my duty that I have 4 times a week-mosque duty. The fourth grade boys are washing behind the mosque, then walk around to remove their shoes. While the fourth graders are praying, the fifth graders are at recess! Guess what they're playing....

Soccer!!!! Kuwaiti boys LOVE soccer!! They play it all the time! The only other sport I see during recess is basketball, but it's only a few students. Some teachers throw a ball to students in the classroom when they ask questions, because the boys are very bad at catching.


Pile of shoes beside the mosque. It's hard to tell, but they're all soccer shoes! Purple, neon green and of course- orange!
I see at least 10 pairs of these shoes in each class!

This is recess at ACA-sometimes it feels like dodgeball for teachers on duty!

No comments:

Post a Comment