Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Learning about Islam

I've been trying to get a video so you can hear the call of prayer but it's always too quiet, so I'm borrowing one instead-thanks Elizabeth!



The next one is a video taken on a Friday during the sermon. I like it because you can see the men heading into the mosque. 


One of my boys is practicing a reading from the Qur'an for a competition. He stayed in from recess today to practice. I asked him what he was reading.. To explain the Qur'an, he asked, "Do you know Allah?" 
"Yes, I know Allah."
"Well he said all of this." [pointing to paper]
"Well who wrote it? Muhammad?"
"No, Allah told Muhammad and he memorized it and then told all the other Muslims who memorized it. Then they wrote it. It's not in English. It's in Arabic."
"Oh okay."
And then he kept reading/singing his part.
I love how kids make everything so simple! 

I've also learned that Islam has prophets; twenty-five are mentioned in the Qur'an including-Abraham, Moses, Elijah, Jonah, John the Baptist, Jesus... Any of these names ring a bell? Yep, same guys in the Bible. Of course there is one very important difference-Jesus! We believe Jesus is the Son and God and died on the cross for our sins. But it's nice to remember Islam and Christianity are more similar than most would admit. : )

This week is reading week! Our theme is Little Critter series by Mercer Mayer! I can't wait to tell you all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment